Thursday 29 March 2012

Air brushing and Body Image

For many years now teenage girls and even little kids are worried about their body image. Magazines constantly keep on showing us pictures of air-brushed woman who, compared to their normal selves, are unrecognizable in the magazines and media! It's completely bizarre to me why the media chooses to mess with our heads, it has caused so many eating disorders and self-confidence issues and it's only telling us that we still aren't good enough.
This isn't only in magazines. An example is barbies! Little girls toys! I read an article about them a few years back and realized if a barbie doll were to be a real human being they would need plastic surgery removing several bones from the body and they would die within a week from lack of food and water. Take a look at a barbie's stomach and compare it to a photo of a regular sized girl and you will see the crazy difference. So why do we do it? Why do we get this picture into the minds of young girls? It's a question I myself can't answer.
I think magazines should try something new, they should start putting pictures of real women in their catalogues and see what happens next, I think the readers will be much happier after finishing their magazine when they see that they look how they are supposed to, because girls, we look fine. And though the media constantly keeps on telling us differently, I am telling you the truth. To me, us curvy, real women are what's considered beautiful, not some caked up, computerized version of ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this awhile ago: barbie as a real person- http://i.huffpost.com/gen/264902/GALIA-BARBIE.jpg

    ReplyDelete