Saturday 18 February 2012

A man to look up to

This is a photo of Chris McCandless in front of his bus.
    For a couple of years now, Christopher McCandless has been my biggest role model, no question. I am currently reading a book about him called "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer. I've seen the movie and his story is absolutely remarkable. It started in April 1992 when he decided to hitchhike to Alaska. He traveled alone in the wilderness north of Mount Mckinley. Previous to his trip he gave up everything. He donated $25, 000 in savings to charity and burned all the cash in his wallet, he abandoned almost all of his belongings, even his car and at that moment he invented a new life for himself and stepped into the wild. The bus that he lived in still rests in the same place it had when he lived in it, my dream is to take the hike he took to get there and see the bus for myself. I think it would be an amazing experience. I love this man for his integrity and willpower to keep going. I've always thought of him as a hero, though he died in his journey after being poisoned to death by wild berries. 
This is the novel I am currently reading, "Into the Wild" 


1 comment:

  1. Great post!! :) This man really does sound inspirational, I like how he wanted to just go back and immerse himself in nature. That would be a really cool way of life!

    ReplyDelete